RE: Seed AI (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 13:19:00 MDT

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Computer science in general seems to have benefited from collective
> intelligence at least as much as from "lone genius" style intelligence.
> Progress in CS has been as substantial as that in physics, yet we don't have
> CS heros on the order of Einstein or Newton to look up to.

Not yet...

My vote is for Alan Turing, and I have a computer named in his honor
hosting OpenCyc from my garage. Its mate is named in honor of John
Mccarthy.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org