Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 13:07:37 MDT

James Higgins wrote:
> At 11:02 AM 6/25/2002 -0600, Ben Goertzel wrote:
>
>> But I also don't trust YOUR, or MY, or anyone else's theory
>> of "how to make AI's friendly" or "how to make the Singularity come out
>> well." It worries me that you are so confident in your own theory of
>> how to make the Singularity come out well, when in fact you like all
>> the rest of us are confronting an unknown domain of experience, in
>> which all our thoughts and ideas may prove irrelevant and overly
>> narrow.
>
> Wow, Ben, you managed to exactly nail the issue I have with Eliezer's
> efforts. Excuse me, but we are all IGNORANT when it comes the
> Singularity, Eliezer, Ben, myself and everyone else included. Having a
> strong belief to the contrary while attempting to create the Singularity
> ASAP is rather frightening. And I don't have a tendency toward
> irrational fear, just self preservation.

Don't worry. My alleged "self-confidence" is Ben's invention. I happen to
be fairly confident that many of Ben's theories are wrong; it's not at all
the same as being confident that my own theories are right.

Nobody who thought the Singularity was understandable would ever have
invented Friendly AI.