RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 12:59:47 MDT

At 11:02 AM 6/25/2002 -0600, Ben Goertzel wrote:
>Eli wrote:
>But I also don't trust YOUR, or MY, or anyone else's theory of "how to make
>AI's friendly" or "how to make the Singularity come out well." It worries
>me that you are so confident in your own theory of how to make the
>Singularity come out well, when in fact you like all the rest of us are
>confronting an unknown domain of experience, in which all our thoughts and
>ideas may prove irrelevant and overly narrow.

Wow, Ben, you managed to exactly nail the issue I have with Eliezer's
efforts. Excuse me, but we are all IGNORANT when it comes the Singularity,
Eliezer, Ben, myself and everyone else included. Having a strong belief to
the contrary while attempting to create the Singularity ASAP is rather
frightening. And I don't have a tendency toward irrational fear, just self
preservation.

James Higgins