Re: Hardware Progress: $319/GF

From: Mike & Donna Deering (deering9@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 13:10:28 MDT

I'm interested in keeping track of the doubling time of power of an entry level desk top computer. It would be handy if we all could use a standard metric. I've noticed people using the 18 month figure which is clearly outdated. My gut feeling is somewhere between 6 and 12 months but I would like to see data. I know that the computer I bought for $800 12 months ago (900MH, 40 GHD, 120MRAM, CDRW, 15"MON) a similar 2GH system from Gateway now sells for $800. Is there some place that tracks this stuff? The doubling time I mean, not the prices.

Mike.