Re: Hardware Progress: $319/GF

From: Mike & Donna Deering (deering9@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 13:31:50 MDT

The experts have grossly over estimated the computational requirements for GAI. We have a way of calculating it precisely. Kurzweil says we have simulated the human auditory functions and we are very close to a complete simulation of the human visual function. And we have a good idea of the neuroanatomy of these systems. Simply take how much hardware does it take to simulate these functions, how much of the brain do these functions comprise, extrapolate how much hardware it takes to simulate the whole brain. I don't have the numbers but my feeling is way lower than the experts.

Mike.