Re: Quest for trans guide.

From: Aaron McBride (amcbride@jps.net)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 10:28:12 MDT

At 10:51 AM 4/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Questions for the Transition Guide.
>
>I realize that none of us can answer for the TG with any kind of confidence,
>but I still think it would be instructive to see some of your guesses.

Good questions. Just for fun, below you will find my suggestions/guesses.

>1.) Will there be punishments for past crimes? What is the fate of
>death row inmates at the time of the Singularity? What about people not yet
>caught? What about terrorists? Will there be a final day of reckoning?

If we have access to everyone's brain/memories, then we can
punish/enlighten everyone by having them see/experience the pain/pleasure
that they caused everyone around them... murderers would relive their crime
through the eyes of their victims along with the fear and pain... nice
guys would get to feel how good they made the people around them feel,
etc... Sort of a hi-fi version of "A Christmas Carol".
I believe that experiencing this will reform just about anyone.

>2.) Will people be protected from their own ignorance? What about
>children? What about babies? What about parental control?

How about saving people's mind-states, educating them, and allowing them to
decide to go back to ignorance, or move forward?

>3.) Is the "common good" going to include only humans? All intelligent
>life? How do you define intelligent? Animals? Trees? All life?
>Parasites? Ebola?

Maybe I'm being a little selfish, but I think we should allow other species
the dignity of developing on their own. Sort of a non-interference prime
directive. It may not be Friendly, but it might be. I don't know.

-Aaron