unsub and SL5

From: Carlo Wood (carlo@alinoe.com)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 09:30:52 MDT

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:44:57AM -0400, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
After reading http://sysopmind.com/sing/shocklevels.html
I decided to unsubscribe, as I clearly do not
belong on sl4. Not because I am shocked about it
(actually, I am not even shocked by level 5) but because
the topic doesn't match what I want to discuss.

---
I hereby define SL5:
- Stopping the Entropy Death of the Universe.
- Making Civilization survive the next Big Bang.
- The relationship between God and Heisenberg
  uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics
  (or how humanity can occupy that quantum
   mechanic space themself and become God).
Those three combined: maybe we will create God
ourselfs, the universe collapses and "we" survive
as a super-intelligence in the form of the
"uncertainty" (NOT!) that plays a role in the causality
of microscopic quantum states leading to macroscopic
(real world) effects.
--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>
PS This is a personal idea of me.  Modern quantum
   mechanics teaches that a quantum state describes
   no more than the probability to observe possible
   classical states.  However, it never explains
   what 'observing' is, except that it seems to
   involve a human.  I think that 'observing' needs
   to be replaced with with a formula describing
   the entropy of the system involved.  In other
   words: when an atom emits an electron in a quantum
   state with 50% chance spin "up" and 50% chance
   for spin "down", then an observation by a human
   forces the quantum state to one of these classical
   values (up OR down *) because the entropy of the
   human brain is very very low (very very complex)
   and it just doesn't happen that the WHOLE brain
   stays in a 50%/50% quantum state as a result of
   the Law Of Carlo thus.  Never really formulated
   that law, but at least it gets rid of the assumption
   that a human needs to be involved.
*) Another theory is that we DO stay in a quantum
   state and a parallel universe is created.  I think
   that is nonsense.
PS2 Goodbye everyone!