Re: Paranoid Delusions.

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 12:39:38 MST

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 11:09, Mike & Donna Deering wrote:
> In the humble paranoid delusions of this paranoiac ( oops, sorry about the
> humility ) we have real serious problems.
>
> Prong one: make deals with all computer
> producers ( IBM, DEC, CRAY, SPERRY, ECT. ) to ensure operating systems will
> not allow self modifying programs ( a key ingredient in their solution ).
> For that matter lets see if we can get it built into the processor chips.
> Henceforth, programs can only be run from protected memory.

Protected memory really doesn't have anything to do with code being able
to modify itself in any sense meaningful to AI. Creating a
self-modifying system on modern machines and operating systems is a
trivial exercise.

> Prong two: Prince Marvin
> guides academic AI research in directions that will delay/hide the real AI
> solution. And while he is at it, consult on all business attempts. Telling
> the accountants of such businesses that their approach has already been
> tried and proven impossible in academia, therefore they are wasting their
> money. If necessary, economic black ops actions against any project that
> could succeed.

The real problem is that AI research HAS gone in a hundred different
directions, the vast majority of which have no chance of leading to AI.
If any "leading" has been going on, it certainly isn't evident from the
myriad of random directions routinely taken in AI research.

But of course I would say these things. After all, I am part of the
conspiracy...

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com