Re: A Power's Nostalgia of Hairy-Ape-Life (was: Re: Singularity Memetics.)

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 14:56:20 MST

On Thursday, January 31, 2002, at 12:55 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Dark something wrote:
>> I have faith that the Sysop will
>
> Faith is dangerous -- ALWAYS.
>
>> create an environment for us that will lead to the greatest possible
>> growth/enlightenment/happiness/fullfillment/intelligence/etc,
>
> We appear to already be in that environment. Our challenge lies with
> improving ourselves not crawling into a box with lots of blinking LEDs.
>
>> regardless of what we think now.
>
> uh?
> Anyone who respects me at all will not manipulate me in such a way.

Yikes, this is a misunderstanding of the Sysop (how did I miss this the
first time around?). I think I have added a bit stating it explicitly
in my Sysop paper, but the Sysop is just a theory for right now.
Whatever actually happens will be decided by the SI. The Sysop is just
a nice thought that might happen. If it doesn't, well, then let's hope
the SI thought up something better.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose