Re: Ethical basics

From: Simon McClenahan (peepsplat@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 12:55:03 MST

From: "Michael Roy Ames" <michaelroyames@hotmail.com>

> Ben Goertzel wrote:
> >My own intuition is that post-Singularity digital existence going to have
> >its own intense emotional feelings even more satisfying than the lust and
> >love many of us savor during this human life... <
>
> Cripes... I certainly hope so! One of the most desirable things about a
> 'post-Singularity digital existence' would be the ability to *choose*
> exactly how much, how long, what kind of emotions to expose yourself to.
> Right now, I'm pretty much at the mercy of my own emotions... sure, I can
> control my _actions_ but my emotions will have thier way with me. How
much
> better it will be when I have better (total!) control over that.

The need for control over your emotions, being a victim of your emotions,
and feeling better about it, are all emotional qualities. You already have
the potential to do all of these things without waiting for the Singularity.
The post-Singularity digital existence is only going to be an enhancement or
addition to your current emotional state, not necessarily replace or even
control any undesirable feelings you experience now. Like you said, you can
control your _actions_ now, and you will probably have greater control
later, but control of our actions does not necessarily change our emotional
state to something more desirable.

cheers,
    Simon