Expert System Seed AI

From: Simon McClenahan (peepsplat@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 15:51:12 MDT

Why can't we create a rule-base AI Expert System that can be trained how to
program? More specifically, how to program a Seed AI?

An Expert System programmer could enter Donald Knuth's "Art of Computer
Programming" volumes and "Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days", etc. Connect the
system to a Cyc-like database for some extra knowledge, and tell it to read
papers (or program the papers in if NLP isn't that good yet) on Seed AI, asking
for help on concepts that it doesn't understand.

I'm all for a General AI like WebMind to learn and discover things on its own,
but isn't that gaining knowledge the hard way? Humans benefit from the passed on
knowledge of previous humans. Why shouldn't an AI take advantage of human
knowledge too? With this seed knowledge it is more likely to create its own GAI
architecture and already have a cohesive knowledge base about the world. A Human
Co-operative AI is much more easily programmed for Friendliness that way,
surely?