MEME: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

From: sunrise2000@mediaone.net
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 08:32:08 MDT

I was talking with someone, the other day, and mentioned that I was in A.I.
After a few words more, they said, "Ah, so you're into that UFO stuff..."
"No," I said, "that's *extraterrestrial* intelligence", and went on to
explain the fundamentals of AI and how they are grounded, right-here, on
Earth. Surprisingly, this is not the first time that this has happened to
me. *Why is it that so few commoners know what AI is?* Then, there's the
whole distinction between weak AI and strong AI. I seem to remember
knowing about AI in high school, if not earlier. But, then again, I've
also been called "smart" for knowing that "extraterrestrial" is the big
word for "aliens". :) (No, it's not "extrapedestrian"....)

Does anybody know what the forthcoming Spielberg movie "A.I.: Artificial
Intelligence" plans to convey about the field? What help/harm will the
movie do to pop-AI? For something so emminently pertinent to the future
of humanity, I certainly hope more people gain an understanding of what
AI is all about.

Dave