RE: MEME: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

From: Patrick McCuller (patrick@kia.net)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 00:57:17 MDT

> I was talking with someone, the other day, and mentioned that I was in A.I.
> After a few words more, they said, "Ah, so you're into that UFO stuff..."
> "No," I said, "that's *extraterrestrial* intelligence", and went on to
> explain the fundamentals of AI and how they are grounded, right-here, on
> Earth. Surprisingly, this is not the first time that this has happened to
> me. *Why is it that so few commoners know what AI is?* Then, there's the

        Exactly what is a commoner?

        Merriam-Webster's Online Collegiate Dictionary says:

Main Entry: com·mon·er
Pronunciation: 'kä-m&-n&r
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 a : one of the common people b : one who is not of noble rank
2 : a student (as at Oxford) who pays for his own board

"commoner" Merriam-Webster OnLine: Collegiate Dictionary. 2001.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary.htm (16 Jun. 2001).

        I gather you don't intend the second meaning. So you're talking then about
people who are not nobles?

Patrick McCuller