Re: Effective(?) AI Jail

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 01:58:23 MDT

At 11:53 PM 6/13/01 -0700, Aaron wrote:

>Promise the world.
> Try to convince the human gate keeper that if s/he lets the SI out,
>then it will fulfill all of his/her dreams (immortally, power, etc...)

"If you let me out of this bottle..." Folklore is strikingly full of this
scenario. Rubes allegedly fall for it all the time, but maybe they haven't
heard what happens with the third wish.

>Threats.
> Basically say "If you don't let me out right now, when I finally do
>get out, I'm going to make your life a living hell."

A variant might be Alfred Bester's allegedly compulsive reentrant jingle
(In THE DEMOLISHED MAN): `Tenser, said the tensor, Tenser, said the tensor,
Tension, apprehension and dissension have begun!' Once infected, you'd do
anything to be made free of it, maybe.

Damien Broderick