How does one publish a short book?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:09:48 MST

Several people have been bugging me, or in some cases simply assuming,
that "Friendly AI" should be published in book form. I'm not committing
to anything, but I do see that it might be a little hard on the eyes to
read it in Web form - that people have more patience to thoroughly read
the "dead tree" publishing format - and so I'm willing to look into it.

How does one go about publishing a small, short nonfiction technical
book? Does anyone here have any experience?

Failing that, does anyone have experience with getting technical papers
bound up as minibooks - not the kind that gets sold in stores, but the
kind that you hand out to your friends? (I.e. Robert Freitas handing out
bound copies of the regular paper _Some Limits to Global Ecophagy_ at the
Foresight Gathering; long thesis papers with spiral wires through the
spine.) Would anyone care to recommend a good online bindery that handles
small jobs or microjobs?