RE: economic effects of AI (was RE: About that E-mail:...)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@intelligenesis.net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 20:11:38 MDT

It's not a ridiculous argument, but I still think it's a wrong one

People need more than just material goods, people need emotional goodies
from
other people, which come in a million different forms

What this means is that as long as there are humans with human bodies
similar to the
ones we have now, there will be plenty of service jobs, because humans want
to be surrounded
by humans doing things with and for them

Also, I predict that when real AI comes about, there will be a long period
when it is
complementary to, rather than unmitigatedly superior to, human intelligence.
Each kind of mind
will have its niche. Ultimately AI will surpass us in all ways, but by
then, the human body
may also be obsolete due to other technology advances...

ben