[sl4] Friendly AIs vs Friendly Humans

From: DataPacRat (datapacrat@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2011 - 00:36:51 MDT

Since this list isn't officially closed down /quite/ yet, I'm hoping
to take advantage of the remaining readers' insights to help me find
the answer to a certain question - or, at least, help me find where
the answer already is.

My understanding of the Friendly AI problem is, roughly, that AIs
could have all sorts of goal systems, many of which are rather
unhealthy for humanity as we know it; and, due to the potential for
rapid self-improvement, once any AI exists, it is highly likely to
rapidly gain the power required to implement its goals whether we want
it to or not. Thus certain people are trying to develop the parameters
for a Friendly AI, one that will allow us humans to continue doing our
own things (or some approximation thereof), or at least for avoiding
the development of an Unfriendly AI.

>From what I've overheard, one of the biggest difficulties with FAI is
that there are a wide variety of possible forms of AI, making it
difficult to determine what it would take to ensure Friendliness for
any potential AI design.

Could anyone here suggest any references on a much narrower subset of
this problem: limiting the form of AI designs being considered to
human-like minds (possibly including actual emulations of human
minds), is it possible to solve the FAI problem for that subset - or,
put another way, instead of preventing Unfriendly AIs and allowing
only Friendly AIs, is it possible to avoid "Unfriendly Humans" and
encourage "Friendly Humans"? If so, do such methods offer any insight
into the generalized FAI problem? If not, does that imply that there
is no general FAI solution?

And, most importantly, how many false assumptions are behind these
questions, and how can I best learn to correct them?

Thank you for your time,

--
DataPacRat
lu .iacu'i ma krinu lo du'u .ei mi krici la'e di'u li'u traji lo ka