Re: [sl4] Re: META: closing the list

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 21:14:44 MDT

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0@gmail.com> wrote:
> Theorizing that list closure might be of interest to LW, I posted
> http://lesswrong.com/r/discussion/lw/5n2/sl4_meta_list_closure_2_month_followup/
> There are 19 comments on that page (including mine) versus 6 or 7
> here. Apparently even LW cares more about SL4 than SL4 does. On a side
> note, the only other non-closure non-Burton email since was a pointer
> by Anissimov to... a page on LW.

I assumed the "only other non-closure..." was a dare to not reply.

I wouldn't be saddened to have no more SL4 emails per se - it's not
like there aren't plenty of other mediums to discuss what has become
of the key points. Many of them have morphed so much that SL4 isn't
even topical to what SL4 once was (or may have been).

With facebook and twitter (et al.) stealing considerable thunder from
the old-school email list, it's likely that participation is down on
all mailing lists. Considering that SL4 targeted less than 1% of the
world's population there is less tolerance for a decline in posting to
a list that has or had normal traffic below a self-sustaining
threshold.

So this water cooler is empty. We'll talk at the next nearest watering hole.