RE: [sl4] Simple friendliness: plan B for AI

From: Natasha Vita-More (natasha@natasha.cc)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2010 - 08:50:48 MST

Thanks Tim for your view on Asimov's three laws. Gave me a chuckle.

As much as I adore Eli's clever writing, re the piece on "Predicting the
Future" I have to say that using the 50's vision of the future as a general
public perspective is mistaken. That went down with women wanting to be
"pretty" (referring to Eli's play on Harry Potter (women want to be sexy and
smart, not pretty (i.e., delicacy)).

I'd like to see a stronger incorporation of design in the theoretical
writings and visionary musings on FAI. Design is a complex field and
contains practicality, rationality and functionalism, along with a
cybernetic adaptive sensibility.

Best,
Natasha

Natasha Vita-More <http://www.natasha.cc>
   MSc, MPhil, PhD Researcher, University of Plymouth
Board of Directors: Humanity+
Fellow: Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies
Visiting Scholar: 21st Century Medicine