Re: [sl4] Uploading

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 10:07:08 MST

>>> I assume that you are referring to the no clone theorem, which says
>>> that it is impossible to perfectly duplicate a given quantum state.
>>> However, this ultimate level of copying fidelity cannot be fundamental
>>> to identity,
>>
>> "Cannot" is a very strong word. "Very unlikely" is more apporpriate.
>
> I'll stick with "cannot". Your quantum state changes from moment to
> moment, but you still feel you are you; therefore, something less than
> perfect duplication is required to maintain personal identity.

See my previous statement. You're presenting an impossibility
statement - no quantum level information is relevant to consciousness.
Impossibility statements require much, much stronger justification
than a few handwavy comments. And there is nothing impossible about
designing a robust consciousness based on a quantum computer where the
consciousness is lost if the quantum states are erased. So this is an
impossibility statement about the specific brain that we have - brains
we don't have all that much of an understanding of yet.

(Consider how many centuries, theories and experiments it took to
justify the cannot in "a spinning wheel cannot violate conservation of
energy")

Your cannot is rejected pending absolutly inarguable evidence.

Note that I agree with the general thrust of your argument, and put
the chance of quantum effects having a major influence at about
1/1000.

Stuart