Re: [sl4] Uploading

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 10:36:52 MST

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 "Frank Adamek" <f.adamek@yahoo.com> said:

> You are confusing a subjective difference with "reports of a subjective
> difference".

This would be confusing only if I believed in a afterlife where our
subjectivity continues but we are unable to communicate with the Earth.
I don't.

> What experiences do you expect in the following situations?
> 1) You are shot and killed instantly

To me I expect the billions of years that will exist after I am shot and
killed will feel just like the billions of years that existed before I
was born.

> 2) All relevant details of your brain are scanned and a perfect copy is
> then constructed, let's say on a different continent, Antartica. I am
> using "copy" in the sense that both of you are now equally "copies". The
> copy on your current continent is then shot and killed instantly.

Then I have instantly transported to Antarctica.

> 3) No upload or duplication takes place and you travel to Antartica.

I have moved to Antarctica in a slower and more uncomfortable manner
than in situation #2.

> there are some people who don't care about future experience

Interesting, I've never met any of those.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm