Re: [sl4] Uploading (was : goals of AI)

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 15:45:51 MST

2009/12/3 John McNamara <harlequin@novastar.org>:

> To me the "before it is able to differentiate" concept is not relevant
> to my personal philosophical outlook on the matter. I understand
> perfectly that others would considered it in an entirely different
> light and that's fine for them. I don't see a mathematical approach to
> demonstrate , in general, that one is more right that the other.

I don't know about a "mathematical" approach, but if it can be shown
that your position is internally inconsistent then that should be a
good reason to revise or abandon it. It is inconsistent to say you
don't mind ordinary life but you would be afraid of destructive
copying, because ordinary life involves gradual destructive copying.

--
Stathis Papaioannou