Re: [sl4] Re: goals of AI

From: Luke (wlgriffiths@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 30 2009 - 16:31:49 MST

Luke:
>> Sure, you can model the release of a hormone very simply.
>> But how much hormone, and when is it released?

John:
>The important thing is not how much hormone is released but how much is
>detected and which cells are able to do it

:::Luke slaps his own forehead:::

You MUST be deliberately misinterpreting me, consciously or unconsciously.
 If you are not consciously doing so I recommend you take a breather and
come back later and pretend YOU wrote some of the words in my posts, and
read them from that point of view.

What I'm SAYING is that it is not the bandwidth that matters, but the signal
that comes down whatever pipeline has that bandwidth.

Human behavior is determined in part by hormones. These hormones are
sending signals. Yes, electronics can, or should be able to, simulate the
system that generates these signals.

My original point is that you cannot simulate merely the brain and hope to
get human behavior. You must simulate the entire body.

This was in response to a statement that only a portion of the genome codes
for human behavior, and the rest codes for the "gross viscera".

To make my point even simpler, you could simulate a hormone channel with a
single resistor. At any given moment T, there will be a certain current Y
through that resistor. However, to know WHAT hormone level should be there,
you need much more complicated electronics BEHIND that resistor.

That's all I'm saying.

Therefore, you need to simulate the information processing that takes place
in the rest of the body, outside of the skull. Information processing
happens there, and it determines human behavior, so you need to simulate it
to get human behavior. Simple point. And a point which has nothing to do
with the limitations of electronics.

 - Luke