Re: [sl4] Re: goals of AI... non physical components of mind != soul

From: Charles Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 - 12:38:03 MST

Mu In Taiwan wrote:
> > Or if I removed your brain, ground it to a pulp, and then replaced it
> with a computer that had exactly the > same behavior so that nobody
> could detect any change in the behavior of your body, then you mean
> that > invisible thing that is now missing from you?
>
> Imagine if I created a perfect copy of your physical body,
> transplanted your brain into it, woke you up, then put the
> afore-mentioned computer into your 'old' body. Now, I must grind up
> one of the bodies. Which will it be?
>
> As much as I hate Searle, I fear it would be my old body that be
> getting ground up.

That doesn't have anything to do with Searle. You identify with the
body you reside in, because that's the one that you can control the
effectors of and receive sensory inputs from. Logic, etc., grows *out*
of that, it doesn't precede it. (Of *course* that are structures which
are built in which are the basis on which logic is built. Otherwise you
couldn't learn. But those are things of which you have no conscious
awareness.)