Re: [sl4] Alan Turing's results are profound

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 11:38:31 MDT

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:31:46AM -0700, John K Clark wrote:
> Sometimes I wonder if that's why Turing killed himself

That particular bit of drivel, at least, is easy to respond to; he
was killed by the British government for being gay;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1212910/How-Britain-drove-greatest-genius-Alan-Turing-suicide--just-gay.html

The fact that they didn't actually pull the trigger is rather
irrelevant.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something