RE: [sl4] Alan Turing's results are profound

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 11:31:46 MDT

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 "Bradley Thomas" <brad36@gmail.com> said:

> Or are you saying something stronger than the above claim, that I'm overlooking,
> that would require Turing's proof?

I'm saying Turing's proof is one of the most important in mathematics
and it makes me mad when people act like it's something trivial. For
example take the Goldbach Conjecture, it states that every even number
greater than 4 is the sum of two primes greater than 2. Let's try it for
some numbers:

6=3+3
8=5+5
10=3+7
12=5+7
14=3+11
16=3+13
18=7+11
20=3+17
22=5+17
24=7+17
26=7+19
28=11+17
30=11+19

This all looks very promising, but is it true for all even numbers?
Checking all even numbers one by one would take an infinite number of
steps, to test it in a finite number of steps I need a proof, but I
don't have one, nobody does. Perhaps nobody has found any Goldbach
Derivations even after looking for hundreds of years because it's not
true. It could be, but modern computers have looked for a
counterexample, they've gone up to a trillion or so and it works every
time. Now a trillion is a big number but it's no closer to being
infinite than the number 1 is, so perhaps The Goldbach Conjecture will
fail at a trillion + 2 or a trillion to the trillionth power. It's also
possible that some brilliant mathematician will come up with a proof
tomorrow, as happened with Fermat's last theorem, but there is yet
another possibility, it could be un-provable.

The Goldbach Conjecture is either true or it's not, Godel never denied
that, the question is, will we ever know if it's true or not? According
to Godel some statements are un-provable, if The Goldbach Conjecture is
one of these it means that it's true so we'll never find a
counterexample to prove it wrong, and it means we'll never find a proof
to show it's correct. For a few years after Godel made his discovery it
was hoped that we could at least identify statements that were either
false or true but had no proof. If we could do that then we would know
we were wasting our time looking for a proof and we could move on to
other things, but in 1935 Turing proved that sometimes even that was
impossible.

If Goldbach is un-provable we will never know it's un-provable, Godel
told us that such statements exist but he didn't tell us what they were.
A billion years from now, whatever hyper intelligent entities we will
have evolved into will still be deep in thought looking, unsuccessfully,
for a proof and still grinding away at numbers looking, unsuccessfully,
for a counterexample. And if Goldbach is't un-provable Turing tells us
there are an infinite number of similar statements that are.

Sometimes I wonder if that's why Turing killed himself and Godel died
insane.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark