Re: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: zakolus zahn (zakolus@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 10:41:55 MDT

> > Do you not consider an OS as a type of "mind"?
>
> > DOS is a type of mind? Don't be silly.

Honestly, how can you _not_ view an operating system as a type of mind.

Picture this with me: "Your mind is a computer, the synapses fire
[processes] as you take in environment [mouse and keyboard use]. Your
environment decides to change and you react [run a new process/change words
on the screen, etc.]. You remember something [Hard drive] and react based
on that [run a new process to play a game or edit a word document.]."

The operating system is just an interface to the "mind" of a computer,
albeit it isn't able to act without an external force, can we not say the
same about ourselves?

Take away everything, place a human in a void, and in effect, we cease to
be. Without external stimuli, is our mind anymore awake than the computer
you are at right now?