[sl4] what's with all the math?

From: Luke (wlgriffiths@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 00:00:48 MDT

Hello all,
I just sent around that "to-do list for creating friendly AI", and it's
already evolving - has been edited by Patriva. This is good.

However, @Patriva: I had this question, but thought I should keep it out of
that document thread (where I would like to constrain the conversation to
versions of the document and short-format "commit messages" stating how it
was improved).

My question was this: You seemed to, for the most part, re-state a lot of
the steps in terms of a problem of formal mathematics. Why? Do you
consider English to be insufficient/imprecise? Do we get to count
ruby<http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/>as a formal mathematical system?

Is there a formal mathematical definition of intelligence? What's so great
about formal mathematics?

Thanks for adding the dependencies, too.

 - Luke