Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 08:41:35 MST

--- On Wed, 3/4/09, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm sure then that it's already been asked
> what happens if two copies are created at the same time, in
> which one will I continue to experience?
> >
> > The world would say 'both', but I cannot
> experience being in two bodies at the same time.
>
> You have a 1/2 chance of ending up as one or the other.

No, you will believe that you have a 1/2 chance of ending up as one or the other. Probability is a mathematical model of belief, not of reality. You can program any number you want in the range [0,1] and that is what you will believe.

> In the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics it is postulated
> that we are duplicated all the time, and the observed probabilities
> occur because we only experience being one of the duplicates in
> one of the universes.

Many-worlds is indistinguishable from the case that there is one universe in a definite quantum state, but you don't know what that state is.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com