Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 06:25:01 MST

2009/3/4 <rick.smith@ntlworld.com>:
> Thanks for your concise summary. I accept both your points.
>
> I'm sure then that it's already been asked what happens if two copies are created at the same time, in which one will I continue to experience?
>
> The world would say 'both', but I cannot experience being in two bodies at the same time.

You have a 1/2 chance of ending up as one or the other. If 10 copies
are made and 9 of them are tortured, you have a 9/10 chance of finding
yourself one of the ones that is tortured. Some object to this saying
"but you will actually be all the copies", but as you point out people
can only experience one stream of consciousness at a time. In the many
worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics it is postulated that we
are duplicated all the time, and the observed probabilities occur
because we only experience being one of the duplicates in one of the
universes.

--
Stathis Papaioannou