Re: [sl4] FAI development within academia.

From: William Pearson (wil.pearson@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 06:58:37 MST

2009/2/25 Roko Mijic <rmijic@googlemail.com>:
> Since this thread seems to have been somewhat distracted, I might just
> bring us back to the original more immediately salient question.
> Perhaps we could Matt's quantitative theory to another thread?
>
> "I want to help out with FAI research, what do I do?"

There used to be a FAQ. "So you want to be a seed AI programmer," I
suspect it is deprecated.

My guess is you would be out of luck trying to do FAI/AGI in academia.
You might try attaching yourself to something like SOAR for a PhD and
then striking out on your own from there. Aaron Sloman at Birmingham
Uni (UK) is somewhat more open minded about AI approaches IIRC.

The other way to be helpful is probably advancing the state of the art
of decision theory so that it is more realistic/more powerful or
otherwise better suited for reasoning about FAIs with. Just my 2 penny
worth, I am not in any way affiliated with FAI work, I'm one of those
crazies that thinks AGIs won't go foom.

  Will