Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Johnicholas Hines (johnicholas.hines@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 19:09:41 MST

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm not opposed to uploading. I just think we should call it what it is, a program that imitates you well enough to fool everyone you know. It's not magic. In a future where everything you say or do is public knowledge, it won't even require brain scanning.

I think your criterion of "well enough to fool your friends" allows
many non-faithful representations of a human. I'd rather the goal of
uploading to be a more stringent criterion, something like: "experts
in the field of brain simulations agree that the errors in the
emulation are comparable in size to the thermal and other fluctuations
that biological humans enjoy".

The question of how best to treat non-faithful representations that
can pass the Turing test is interesting.

Johnicholas