Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 12:05:56 MST

On Feb 13, 2009, at 1:35 PM, John K Clark wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 "Krekoski Ross"
> <rosskrekoski@gmail.com> said:
>
>> I find it hard to buy that quantum effects will
>> not diverge two minds fairly quickly, even if they
>> are in a symmetrical room (Which as we've discussed
>> cannot be perfectly symmetrical in a real universe).
>
> This getting rather silly, now even the room must be quantum perfect?!
> Obviously the room only needs to be good enough so that any
> imperfections are below the threshold of unaided human senses to
> detect.
> And even that is vast overkill. Are you really claiming that you’d
> be a
> different person today if the bus bench you sat down on just once when
> you were 6 didn’t have that quarter inch scratch in the paint in the
> upper left hand corner?

I'm sure this isn't SL4, and I'm not part of the coterie arguing that
quantum
differences produce different people (I'm one of the process
heretics), but
I'd say that it seems obvious that even if there were *no* differences
at all
on that day when I was six, I could well be a different person now if
it were
rerun.

--
Randall