Re: [sl4] Please upload some molecular reintegration

From: Petter Wingren-Rasmussen (petterwr@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 02:08:45 MST

Nature can copy DNA easily, but not perfectly. Thats how mutations arise.
Implementing the DNA to an actual physical body is far from perfect. In my 7
years working as a doctor I have not met a single patient without any moles,
and thats only surface imperfections.

Furthermore the way nature does it is building from scratch with one cell
with inherited characteristics (mitochondrias, Golgi-apparatus etc.) and a
new unique set of DNA. Above the level of single-cell organisms nature has
never afaik made a copy of an already existing being with an active neural
system.

Scanning and copying a neural system without interefering with its ongoing
electrical activity is so far beyond what is currently possible to us that I
cant see any reason to look upon it as anything else but a thought
experiment.