Re: [sl4] Weakening morality

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 07:55:36 MST

> Would yo mind giving me a specific example or two so I understand where you
> are coming from?

I think I was reacting in a knee-jerk reaction to something I took to
be a cliche.

Can you define what you really meant by "Weak morals weaken and strong
morals strengthen societies"?

> Morals should not be based on another person's opinion anyway I suppose. Or
> do you mean other people in general (the further removed you are from them
> in time and space) are not of your concern?

A lot of my morals are based on the consequences of adopting a certain
moral stance. But other countries often have different political and
social arrangements, which help in understanding whether this moral
stance trully has the consequences that it is believed to have.

Stuart