Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2009 - 03:17:55 MST

>> Are you arguing that their information is somehow lost?
>
> No because the knowledge that the atom right here is Bob the hydrogen
> atom but the hydrogen atom over there is not Bob cannot effect any
> conceivable experiment and can not be used to encode information. The
> "knowledge" of which atom is Bob is about as useful as which atom has a
> bikini on.

We are still spinning in irrelevant directions: I admit that electrons
are indistinguishable, and I admit that two completely identical
copies are indistinguishable.

However, this is completely irrelevant, as two completely identical
copies of a human being cannot exist for more that a couple of plank
units of time. By the time the copies can even begin to think, they
are different.

Stuart