Re: [sl4] Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2009 - 20:22:55 MST

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Suppose for US$100 you can buy a ticket that will instantly take you any place in the world. You have done this hundreds of times without incident. Now a new option is available. For an extra fee, you are offered the "painless" option, where the booth is filled with a narcotic knockout gas before you are slowly* crushed to death over a 24 hour period behind soundproofed walls. What is the maximum amount you would pay for this option?
>
> *It has to be slow because the teleportation industry saves money by using a smaller motor with a low gear ratio.

haha... Interesting that the standard fare is instantaneous
crush-to-death, and for an extra fee I can have the slow
crush-to-death.

If my non-self hasn't been bothered by the 100 previous
clone-crushings, why pay more now? If the situation is reversed so
the slow crush-to-death were cheaper, everyone would opt for the
better value. Taken to an extreme, the best-value version of
teleportation probably wouldn't even bother to crush the unteleported
- you'd just be returned to the street and forced to accept that
teleportation just doesn't work. Hey, wait a minute....