Re: [sl4] JOIN: Hello, etc.

From: Warrigal (ihope127+w@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2008 - 09:58:53 MST

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Stuart Armstrong
<dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Though I think that "with the added incentive of a small chance of
> saving the world" drives Eliezer to despair (I might be spectacularly
> wrong); I think he feels that saving the world is much more important
> than any considerations, and this is at risk if it's anything but a
> primary consideration in our thoughts. I'm trending that way too at
> the moment.

Well, what I meant was a small chance of me, personally,
singlehandedly saving the world. If history remembers one person as
the person responsible for saving the world, it will probably not be
me.

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Philip Hunt <cabalamat@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I recently stumbled upon (using StumbleUpon) Eliezer Yudkowsky's web
>> site, agreed with it (as in all of it, as if I've read the whole
>> thing), found that Eurisko did some things I've never seen before,
>> read about Eurisko's flaws and figured they would be "easy" to fix,
>
> So have you started hacking the Eurisko codebase? (relatedly: Is it
> easy to get it to run on modern PCs running operating systems such as
> Linux?)

I haven't been able to find the Eurisko codebase. A Google search for
something like 'eurisko source code' turns up nothing useful, only
someone else saying that they too have never found it. As far as I
know, it's been lost. Do you know where to find it?

--Warrigal