Re: [sl4] How much do languages matter for AGI programming?

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2008 - 20:09:00 MST

What language should I use to post to this list if not english? I
think chinese would be a better choice since the number of people in
the world has a large majority speaking chinese. Therefore chinese is
the best language because it has the largest installed base of speaker
understanding. This is a ludicrously contrived example. One language
for AI may be more ludicrous.

A computing resource could provide an open API that completely
describes itself, or it could be effectively a black box.
Intelligence (real or artificial) should be able to acquire that
resource and discover its usefulness. It doesn't matter to me if a
screwdriver is magnetized when I am using it solely as a tool to poke
a hole. If I discover the utility for driving screws then I may also
discover the usefulness of the atypical magnetic property of a
particular screwdriver. The right tool for the job applies to
"programming" a subroutine for a particular task. AI would need to
learn which is the "right tool" on a task-by-task basis by successful
outcome against measurable criteria.