Re: [sl4] A model of RSI

From: Eric Burton (brilanon@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 18:00:48 MDT

I'd like to clarify. I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned by
planet-level extinction events. But one thing we know about biological
life is that once it comes into existence it persists in some form for
at least billions of years and, as presently in evidence,
indefinitely.

Perhaps technological progress is a similarly indomitable process,
once bootstrapped. Then we could worry about it superseding or
otherwise trampling us. But this doesn't seem like a more immediate
risk to civilization than the crises we're exposed to by scientific
backwardness. Machines are a long way from competing for space and
resources with us, and that situation is generally improving. I'd
argue that outbreaks of grey goo are a sign of a civilization that has
solved a great deal of its other problems!

But there is always, always a strong case to be made for conservatism.