Re: [sl4] A model of RSI

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 17:26:58 MDT

--- On Fri, 9/26/08, Nick Tarleton <nickptar@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Bostrom does not seem to offer any good alternatives.
    [to self improvement via evolution].

> Sections 6-11?

I don't buy it. Humans know how to control the evolution of lower species by selective breeding, eradicating or protecting different species, and genetic engineering. But our own cultural beliefs cause us to evolve backwards. Rationally, we should not use medical technology to save lives because it allows weak genes to propagate. We oppose human cloning, genetic experiments with embryos, and restricting the right to have children based on fitness tests. Instead, the birth rate is highest among parents with the least education. How do we expect to control the evolution of a superior species if we cannot control our own?

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com