Re: [sl4] End to violence and government [Was:Signaling after a singularity]

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2008 - 04:49:18 MDT

No time to respond to all your points, sorry! Just a few quick comments:

-the existence of backups is not a boon here. It reduces the threat of
death, but I phrased my threat as a threat against property, not life.
And the laws of thermodynamics seem to imply that it is much cheaper
(ressource wise) to blow something up than it is to protect the same
thing from getting blown up.

-polynomial bound on resources assumes finite energy in a given volume
of space, and the light-speed limit.

-the "mafia boss" segue was about the fact the people will not be
punished just for behaving like a "mafia boss", so we can't count on
social factors to hold back violence.

-the only properties of governments I'm discussing is their law
enforcement and their monopoly on violence.

Ultimately, after a singularity, I want something from you, and
threaten you with the destruction of your resources. What purely
technological development will prevent this from happening?

Stuart