Re: [sl4] Re: More silly but friendly ideas

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 09:32:07 MDT

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 "Lee Corbin" <lcorbin@rawbw.com>
said:

> The Gödel Incompleteness theorem of 1931 applies
> *only* to (a) theories that have a certain amount
> of built-in arithmetic

Or to put it another way, it applies *only* to systems that are
interesting and useful.

> In 1930, Gödel proved his Completeness* theorem,
> showing that first order logic (without that
> axiomatized arithmetical component!) is both
> sound (anything you prove really is true)

That is true, there are no contradictions in first order logic.

> and complete (if it's true, you can prove it).

BULLSHIT! First order logic is not even powerful enough to even do
arithmetic and it seems unlikely that we could have a vast cosmic
intelligence that could produce a Singularity but couldn’t help a third
grader with his homework.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark