From: Giu1i0 Pri5c0 (email@example.com)
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 00:22:40 MDT
Unsolved Problems in Transhumanism
10:00am 12:00 PST - 12:00 2:00pm CST - 1:00pm 3:00pm EST - 6:00pm
8:00pm UK - 7:00pm 9:00pm Continental Europe
Sunday June 8, 2008, SL-Transhumanists @ Extropia Core
Max More is back. In his first public Second Life appearance, the
founder of contemporary transhumanism will discuss unsolved problems
within the movement:
- Communication Strategy: How can we communicate ideas most
effectively and rationally, overcoming the typical tension between the
two? How does this relate to constrained and unconstrained visions of
transhumanism (in Thomas Sowell's terms)?
- Visionary Horizon: How far should we focus on offering solutions to
current problems vs. envisioning longer-term solutions and visions?
- Visionary vs. Practical: To what extent should transhumanists try to
be a movement that is organized, integrated, and directed? Should the
movement or transhumanist activity concern itself primarily with ideas
or practice or both, and should it include a major component that is a
practical guide to self-transformation?
- Bridging the Knowing-doing Gap: Both as movement and as individuals,
how can be do better to practice what we espouse?
- Organizing: How can we better organize and converse, using the best
available knowledge to do so?
- Historical Accuracy and Continuing Honesty: Establishing and
maintaining an accurate history of transhumanism; combating Orwellian
rewriting of the past.
As always, Dr. More welcomes feedback on his thinking.
Join us in Second Life on Sunday, June 8, at 10:00am 12:00 PST - 12:00
2:00pm CST - 1:00pm 3:00pm EST - 6:00pm 8:00pm UK - 7:00pm 9:00pm
Continental Europe. The talk will be hosted by SL-Transhumanists @
Extropia Core. SLURL
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Wed Jul 17 2013 - 04:01:02 MDT