Re: Happy Box

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 10:58:11 MDT

On Sun, 04 May 2008 "Mikko Rauhala"
<mjrauhal@cc.helsinki.fi> said:

> the programming details of the goal structure
> could of course be subject to change and
> improvement in a rational agent

Yes.

> but only if the system still embodied
> the same top-level goals.

No. As I’ve said before no agent that is even semi intelligent has ever
been observed to operate that way; and there is no reason to think all
actions of a mind could be derived from a finite set of goals.

> The main point seems to be your assertion
> that to qualify as intelligent an agent needs
> to be willing and able to act irrationally

I can find nothing irrational in a mind adapting to new information and
circumstances.

> Anyway, this line of discussion has
> clearly outlived its usefulness.

Translation: I have lost this argument.