Re: Happy Box

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 22:59:25 MDT

2008/5/2 Krekoski Ross <rosskrekoski@gmail.com>:

> Notwithstanding the fact that, unlike human motivations, which themselves
> change over the course of a person's life, which are to a degree hardcoded
> in because of our genetics, machines can decide to change their programming
> very quickly.
>
> Whats to say a computer doesnt one day 'try' a different set of motivations,
> as a simulation of sorts, to see if this new motivation set can help the
> humans more efficiently...

This assumes that the underlying top level goal is still to help the
humans. It may as well be that as anything else, since there is no a
priori reason why one goal - even personal survival - is better than
any other goal. But the AI would stick with absolute rigidity to the
top level goal (as far as it could) unless that goal specifically
allowed itself to change.

--
Stathis Papaioannou