Self vs. other (was Re: Balance of power)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 08:54:53 MDT

--- William Pearson <wil.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you think would be required for a computer to be part of your
> "self", rather than its own "self"? You are assuming that all
> computers will always be other "selves", I don't think it is going to
> end up like that.

The distinction that humans commonly make is that if you communicate with it
using language, then it is not yourself. Thus, a person with two faces that
share the same brain is one person.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4549608

But a person with two heads is two people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiSuyuOOBR8

I realize this is a gray area. Is a person with a split corpus callosum one
person or two?

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com