Re: Balance of power was Re: Can't afford to rescue cows

From: William Pearson (wil.pearson@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 07:01:26 MDT

2008/4/23 Byrne Hobart <bhobart@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:47 AM, William Pearson <wil.pearson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Currently what your PC does is entirely under your control or another
> > humans (your can always reformat to another OS, if you dislike
> > windows). I think it likely that most silicon compute power will
> > become slaved to human desires at least to start with, due to
> > economics. It would be as if the silicon was an external part of the
> > brain.
>
> It is important not to be too wishful, here. Once computer systems can
> modify themselves and spread, the ones most adapted to growth will spread
> the fastest.

I'm trying to highlight some assumptions in the notion of self-hood.
When we understand what a "self" is, we should be able to extend it.
Why build new separate ones?

What do you think would be required for a computer to be part of your
"self", rather than its own "self"? You are assuming that all
computers will always be other "selves", I don't think it is going to
end up like that.

I think the computer systems most adapted to being replicated by our
current economic-industrial system will be ones without their own
self-hood.

  Will Pearson