Re: Property rights.

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 15:53:40 MDT

> Education is never free and the point of government schools is to employ
> beaurocrates to administer a system where I pay to educate (poorly) your
> children and you pay to educate (poorly) my children, even if neither of
> us has children.

Yes, but the data (cross country and longitudinal from the moment
public education systems were installed) indicate that such a system
has benefited, on average, everyone in the country by growing the
economy.

Out of interest, since ideological points seem to be coming up here,
how much trust would people put in a powerful FAI? If such an AI said
that your pet system was demonstrably inferior to an alternative,
would you accept the verdict? Remember that on any issue where there
is expert disagreement (and education and healthcare is a case with
much expert disagreement), then it is plausible that the FAI would
decide against you.

How would you feel taking election advice from a FAI?

Stuart