Re: Property rights.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 10:30:59 MDT

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 "Stathis Papaioannou"
<stathisp@gmail.com> said:

> Unfettered capitalism does not necessarily
build human capital.

And its monolithic government that you want to fetter capitalism, with
nothing to fetter it. Fortunately they will never be entirely
successful, thank goodness for the black market.

> If it did what would be the point in taxing
> people to provide free education and so on?

Education is never free and the point of government schools is to employ
beaurocrates to administer a system where I pay to educate (poorly) your
children and you pay to educate (poorly) my children, even if neither of
us has children.

> The point of a public health system is not that
> it is paid for by taxes but that it efficiently
> provides excellent health care for all
> the country's citizens

The word “public” should never be used in the same sentence with the
words “efficient” and “excellent”. Everyone agrees that the public
schools in Washington DC are dreadful, one of the worst in the nation,
and yet the government spent $25,000 per student per year to provide
that crap. For that amount of money the children of the poor could have
gone to excellent private schools like the elite Sidwell Friends school
where Chelsea Clinton went, instead they end up in an expensive
government snake pit.

Government has a near monopoly on education but capitalism provides the
cars, that’s why even in the worst slums in the country you can find
many more good cars than good schools.

John K Clark

--
  John K Clark